At this time, we are planning for auditions to be held in person. This is subject to change, according to public health considerations. Auditions will be held on January 22-23 and January 29-30, 2022. Prescreening applies to all instruments. Applicants who pass the prescreen will be invited to audition in person, and may choose to audition virtually if necessary.
Auditions are required for all applicants, including:
Incoming Freshman and Transfer Students
Music as Primary or Secondary Major
Current UCI students seeking to change major to Music or add Music as a second major
Application Process Overview
- Submit your UC application during November 1st - 30th
- Submit an prescreen audition video by December 31st
- A second in-person or virtual audition is required for all applicants who pass the prescreen
- Second-round auditions, for those who pass the prescreen, take place in late January
- Attend your audition in late January
- Refer to Dates and Deadlines at UCI Admissions for final admission decisions, timelines, and more
Pre-screening applies to ALL instruments and Vocal Arts
Use the same repertoire for both prescreen and second auditions
Applicants who pass the prescreen will be invited to a second audition in late January
Applicants who do not pass the prescreen will receive a message explaining available options, should they wish to continue their pursuit of admission to UCI
PRESCREEN DEADLINE: Submit by December 31st, 2021 - submissions received after this date may not be considered
- Submit Your Prescreen Audition Here (Link will be posted November 1st)
Auditions for fall admission take place on the 3rd and 4th weekends in January, each year. For admission in Fall 2022, these dates are January 22-23 and January 29-30, 2022. We have not yet determined which instruments will be scheduled each day; this information will be posted here during October - December, 2021.
Tips for Undergraduate Audition Videos
- Perform ONLY repertoire which meets the stated requirements.
- Please clearly state your name and the repertoire you will be performing at the start of each video.
- Please dress appropriately for your audition performance (as you would for an in-person audition).
- Please ensure your links work before submitting. We do not troubleshoot broken links.
Music Department Student/Parent Orientation
Please join us for a Welcome and Overview of the Music Department and Claire Trevor School of the Arts. Date, time, and location (or virtual) will be posted November 1st.
Registration is required. Register Here! (Link TBA)
Musicianship & Music Theory
- Musicianship and Music Theory are core competencies in our undergraduate program. All students must pass these courses to succeed in earning their degree.
- Placement exams for Musicianship and Music Theory are required for all newly admitted undergraduate students, including incoming freshman and transfer students, and current UCI students newly admitted to the program.
- Placement exams take place during Welcome Week, just prior to the start of fall classes.
- Placement exams DO NOT take place during auditions. They only apply to admitted undergraduate students.
- We STRONGLY recommend applicants explore the following resources:
Auditions are required for Graduate MFA applicants in the following emphases:
- Collaborative Piano and/or Piano Performance
- Guitar & Lute Performance
- Instrumental Performance
- Vocal Arts
Graduate applicants should contact the appropriate faculty instructor to arrange your in-person or virtual audition. Please DO NOT use the above link for Undergraduate applicants.