We offer MFA degrees in the following emphases:
- Collaborative Piano
- Guitar and Lute Performance
- Instrumental Performance
- Piano Performance
- Vocal Arts
Our MA/PhD degree is offered only in Integrated Composition, Improvisation, and Technology (ICIT).
All applicants, regardless of their emphasis or degree, must submit all materials listed below under Core Graduate Application Materials. In addition, all applicants must follow the instructions specific to their chosen area, which are detailed on webpages linked below under Supplemental Application Materials.
Auditions are required for Collaborative Piano and Piano Performance, Guitar and Lute Performance, Instrumental Performance and Vocal Arts. Repertoire requirements and instructions for scheduling a graduate audition are indicated under Supplemental Application Materials (below).
All application materials must be received in the Music Department Office by the deadlines listed below. Your application is not considered complete until all materials have arrived. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- MA/PhD Application Deadline: December 1st
- MFA Application Deadline: January 15th
CORE GRADUATE APPLICATION MATERIALS
You must complete this application, which is available online after September 15th.
You must submit official transcripts from all institutions that you list on the Online Application. Transcripts should be sent directly to the Music Department Office.
3. REFERENCE LETTERS
Three (3) letters of reference are required. You must list the names of the letter writers on the Online Application. Waiving your right of access is optional but recommended. These letters may be submitted either online or by regular mail, following the instructions listed on the UCI Graduate Division website for Graduate Letters of Recommendation.
4. ACADEMIC ESSAY
An academic essay, in English, on a music topic. This may be fulfilled by the submission of an undergraduate paper or research paper of similar size and scope. We suggest ten (10) double-spaced pages; the paper should display your best prose style.
- The Online Application does not allow for electronic upload of academic essays. Please email these to email@example.com with the subject line "Grad App Essay" in either PDF or Word format. Alternatively, hard copies may be mailed to our office address (listed below).
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for international students who did not earn their undergraduate degree at an institution in the United States, or did not earn a diploma or degree in a country where English is considered the primary or dominant language. Please refer to the UCI Graduate Division website about English Proficiency for more information.
GRE test scores are only required for Musicology and ICIT applicants. Please refer to the UCI Graduate Division website about GRE for more information.
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION MATERIALS
In addition to the Core Graduate Application Materials listed above, all applicants must also follow the instructions on the webpage below corresponding to their area:
- MFA emphases
- MA/PhD degree
- Graduate Advisor
- For questions about our graduate degree programs and requirements, please contact Professor Kojiro Umezaki.
- Faculty Instructor
- For specific questions about audition repertoire requirements, and to schedule a Graduate Audition (MFA applicants only), please contact the appropriate faculty instructor directly.
- Music Department Office
- For all other questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Music Department Mailing Address
Department of Music
Claire Trevor School of the Arts | UCI
Attn: Graduate Admissions
303 Music & Media Bldg.
Irvine, CA 92697-2775