- Competitors must be full-time students at UCI (Music majors and non-majors).
- Previous year’s winners are ineligible.
- Instructor signature required for all applications, to ensure all entries are appropriate and competitors are prepared.
- Selected work must be at least 12 minutes in length and be performed in the original key and language.
- Competitors must perform the entire work from memory.
- All competitors must provide his/her own accompanist.
- Competitors are advised to check the availability of their accompanist before submitting the application.
- A panel of faculty or guest musicians will be selected by the department.
- Faculty members whose students are competitors will not be chosen.
- One copy of the score or piano reduction must be provided to the judges.
- Competitors must be prepared to perform the entire work, from which the jury may ask selections (the jury may stop competitors at any time).
- Judging is based on musicianship, thorough knowledge of the composition, technical proficiency, expressivity, and stage deportment.
- Winners must be deemed ready and able to perform with the orchestra, with limited rehearsal time.
How to Apply
- Concerto Competition Application
- If working with an accompanist, include their availability on the application.
- Complete ALL fields; incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Submit Applications To:
- Music Office: Drop off applications at MM 303, or submit by email.
- Application Deadline:
- Friday one week before the competition date
- Application Deadline & Competition Date changes year to year; the current dates are on the application.
- Competition times are assigned by the Conductor.
- Once the schedule is posted, assigned competition times are final.
- The schedule will be posted on the Monday after the application deadline, outside MM 315 (Conductor’s office).