Supplemental Application Requirements: Instrumental Performance (MFA)
Applicants in Instrumental Performance must complete an on-campus audition/interview, which must be scheduled by January 15 and completed by February 1.
Graduate Audition Repertoire Requirements | Instrumental Performance
For all applicants other than cello, please contact the faculty member in that area for details on audition requirements.
Graduate Audition Repertoire Requirements | Instrumental Performance | Cello
For applicants in Cello, the audition requirements are as follows:
1. A movement of a major concerto such as Haydn, Boccherini, Saint-Saens, Lalo, Elgar, Dvorak, etc.
2. A movement from the Six Suites of Bach for Solo Cello.
3. Major scale in at least 3 octaves.
4. A movement of a major sonata such as Brahms, Beethoven, Shostakovich, Chopin, Barber, Debussy.
5. A Popper Etude.
Scheduling the Audition/Interview
- Recorded Auditions: Exceptional cases only, approval required. Contact the faculty corresponding to your area for permission to substitute a DVD or online link(s) in place of the on-campus audition/interview. Approval must be obtained by January 15. Recorded materials (DVD/online link) must be received by February 1.
- Submission of Recorded Auditions: ALL submissions must include a completed Audition Registration.
- Online Link(s): Email to email@example.com, include "Grad Audition - Instrumental Performance" in the subject line.
- DVDs: Mail to the following address:
Attn: Graduate Admissions
Department of Music
Claire Trevor School of the Arts
University of California, Irvine
303 Music & Media Building
Irvine, CA 92697