Supplemental Application Requirements: Collaborative Piano & Piano Performance (MFA)
Applicants in either Collaborative Piano or Piano Performance must complete an on-campus audition/interview, which must be scheduled by January 15 and completed by February 1.
Graduate Audition Repertoire Requirements | Collaborative Piano
For the audition in Collaborative Piano, applicants should be prepared to perform the following:
1. Two complete instrumental sonatas from contrasting stylistic periods.
2. Four songs including a Schubert through-composed Lied, a Schumann, Brahms, Wolf, or Strauss Lied, a 19th century French Mélodie, and a post-1950 Art Song in English.
3. One solo work to be performed from memory.
The audition will also include a sight-reading component.
Graduate Audition Repertoire Requirements | Piano Performance
For the audition in Piano Performance, applicants should be prepared to perform:
1. A prelude and fugue, toccata, or work containing a fugue by J. S. Bach.
2. A complete classical sonata by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert.
3. A complete romantic or contemporary work.
4. An etude of virtuosity.
All works must be performed from memory. The audition will also include a sight-reading component.
Scheduling the Audition/Interview
- Recorded Auditions: Exceptional cases only, approval required. Contact Professors Scolnik and Griffitt to request approval to substitute a DVD or online link(s) in place of the on-campus audition/interview. Approval must be obtained by January 15. Recorded materials (DVD/online link), must be received by February 1.
- Submission of Recorded Auditions: ALL submissions must include a completed Audition Registration.
- Online Link(s): Email to email@example.com, include "Grad Audition - Piano" in the subject line.
- DVDs: Mail to the following address:
Attn: Graduate Admissions
Department of Music
Claire Trevor School of the Arts
University of California, Irvine
303 Music & Media Building
Irvine, CA 92697