Percussion Audition Requirements
The information below is for those students who are auditioning for the Classical Percussion emphasis, which is taught by Professor Theresa Dimond. If you instead wish to audition for the Jazz Drumset emphasis, taught by Professor Jason Harnell, please visit the Jazz Studies repertoire requirements page.
Tape Audition: Please include mallet percussion (i.e. marimba, xylophone or vibes)
- C major scale, two octaves, up and back
- Chromatic scale, two octaves, up and back
- Two other major scales of your own choosing
- A short two- or four-mallet etude or solo (one page in length).
a short etude or solo (one page in length) on any ONE of the following instruments (student’s choice):
- Snare drum
- Multiple percussion
Demonstrate drumset proficiency by playing three styles (swing, rock, latin, funk, etc.) in a 32-bar phrase
- In addition to all of the above, be prepared to sightread material on mallets, snare drum and timpani.
- Demonstrate timpani tuning
- Demonstrate various rudiments on snare drum, including long roll (both open and closed) at various dynamics.
Transfer and graduate applicants
Please include the following on your tape (Junior or Senior recital tapes are admissible):
- Four-mallet marimba/vibe solo
- Snare drum etude or solo
- Timpani etude or solo
- In addition to the above, be prepared to sight read material on mallets, snare drum and timpani.
- Demonstrate timpani tuning.
- Demonstrate rudiments on the snare drum