BA and BMus
The Department of Music offers the degrees of Bachelor of Arts in Music (BA) and Bachelor of Music in Performance (BMus). We do not offer a minor program, though performance opportunities are available to all UCI students.
Bachelor of Arts in Music (BA)
- Our standard program, to which ALL incoming undergraduates are initially admitted.
- Enables students to pursue a broad range of courses in music history, theory, composition and performance, within a flexible curriculum that is especially attractive for students pursuing a second major or study abroad.
- Degree Requirements
- 2 years of private lessons
Bachelor of Music in Performance (BMus)
- Continuing students who desire more in-depth, specialized studies in performance may seek to change their degree objective from BA to BMus by auditioning during their sophomore year.
- Incoming freshmen are NOT admitted to the BMus program.
- Transfer applicants who perform at a sufficiently high level in the entrance audition may change their degree objective from BA to BMus after admission and the start of fall quarter.
- Degree Requirements
- 4 years of private lessons
UC EAP (foreign exchange students):
- Applicants may be considered, but are not afforded the same privileges as Music majors. They do not receive private lessons, and do not have access to practice rooms.
While the following items are the expected outcomes for each undergraduate degree, the Bachelor of Music (BMus) emphasizes #4, while the Bachelor of Arts (BA) places a greater emphasis on #3, expecting a lecture recital based on the student's research paper.
- Demonstrate mastery of the rudiments and grammar of music and music notation, including completed compositions in tonal and non-tonal idioms.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the chronology and repertoire of Western art music from the Renaissancce to the present.
- Demonstrate reading, writing, and research skills associated with the study of music.
- Demonstrate an ability to perform art music and/or jazz both individually and in ensembles.
Questions? Contact Us
- For general inquiries about the Department of Music and our programs, contact the Music Officce (email@example.com).
- For questions about degree requirements and/or what's required to be a double-major, contact CTSA Student Affairs.
- For questions about audition repertoire requirements, view Undergraduate Repertoire Requirements or contact the faculty instructor for that instrument.